You had great intentions when you signed up for a New York Sports Club gym membership, but now the monthly charges are just piling up on your credit card statements. You’re ready to cancel – but where to start? It can be tricky – with this company, you need to complete a multi-step process. Also, there may be specific rules in your state about cancelling your account.
According to their website, Sports Clubs’ cancellation policy allows members to cancel their memberships according to the following:
• Non-commit memberships may be cancelled for any reason and at any time by giving Sports Clubs 30-days written notice.
• Commit memberships may be cancelled once the minimum time period on the Membership Agreement is fulfilled (generally one year or two years). Once the time period has elapsed, members may cancel at any time by giving Sports Clubs 30-days written notice.
• The two scenarios under which a member holding a Commit membership may be released from the terms of the Membership Agreement are (1) qualified medical reasons which prohibit the member from exercising, and (2) relocation of primary residence beyond a minimum distance, from a Sports Clubs location (this distance varies by state).
• Under each of these two scenarios, the member is responsible for paying a cancellation fee. This fee varies by state.
Members may initiate the cancellation in person at any club location, or by sending a cancellation request by Certified Mail to the club or the Member Services department. If the membership cancellation occurs in a club, members will be required to sign a Notice of Cancellation, a copy of which will be generated for their records. Members who cancel by mail can request that a Notice of Cancellation be sent to them.
To get started on cancelling your New York Sports Club account, you will need:
- New York Sports Club Account or Member Number
- Address of your New York Sports Club Location
- Full Name on file with New York Sports Club
- Your Address on file with New York Sports Club
- Reason for Cancellation
- Your Date of Birth (for account verification with New York Sports Club)
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number (for account verification with New York Sports Club)
- Last 4 digits of your Drivers License (for account verification with New York Sports Club)
- Last 4 digits of your Bank Account or Credit Card Number New York Sports Club Bills (for account verification with New York Sports Club)
- User Name and Password (If registered for online access)
Steps to Cancel
Mail a certified letter to the address below stating that you would like to cancel. Address letters to :
Town Sports International
Attn: Member Services
1 Highpoint Drive
Chalfont, PA 18914
You can also fax your signed letter to 215-565-2664.
If you need a break from your membership but you know you’ll come back, New York Sports Club allows members to “freeze” their memberships when they know in advance that they will not be using any of the clubs. During the freeze period, members pay a monthly maintenance fee of $15 in lieu of their standard dues. During this time, you may not use any of the clubs or services.
You must freeze your account for at least a month and cannot freeze for more than 12 months. If you have a contract agreement for 1 or 2 years and freeze your agreement, you still must finish out your contract after you release the freeze on your account. No getting out of that original contract!
If you’re still not having success with cancelling your New York Sports Club account, HowtoCancel offers an easy cancellation service.
Company contact information
You can call them by phone Monday-Friday from 8:30am – 6:30pm at 877.258.2311 (877-CLUB-311).
Their mailing address is:
TSI Member Services Department
1 Highpoint Drive
Chalfont, PA 18914
You can also email them at CommitCancel@town-sports.com or via their contact form.